Sunday, August 13, 2006

Aha!

The reason for the recent anti-cat campaign by the mockingbirds became clear today, when I found a nest with three or four baby mockingbirds in the jasmine. This is the best photo I could take- I didn't want to upset the parents so I quickly held the camera up and snapped a picture.

Here is a picture of mom (or dad?), who came to scold me as I ate my lunch on the patio. Very ferocious, indeed.

So far I've seen them bringing caterpillars, grasshoppers, and this small lizard to the nest.

I'm not sure what to do about the cat. On the one hand, the mockingbirds clearly don't like him around and are probably stressed out by his presence. I saw one actually swoop down and smack him on the head today. However, when Toby is in the yard he will confront the neighbor cats (Max and Abby) and chase them away. Toby can't climb the trellis to the nest, but it would be very easy for any self-respecting cat with four legs. If I keep Toby inside it will only be a matter of time before Abby discovers the mockingbirds.

2 Comments:

Blogger Jetti said...

How are the baby birds doing?

11:51 AM  
Blogger Michele said...

They are getting bigger and bigger! I will update soon.

11:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home