Sunday, June 24, 2007

The Pink Wonder

The Pink Wonder- a crummy pink violin found in the free bin by one of our band members. (Did I mention that I play in a band?) Despite its poor construction and thick pink coating, this violin actually sounds half-decent, especially when hooked up to the amp.


The violin Andrew's father gave to me condescends to pose beside it here.

Although it's not exactly mine, I hope to play this beast a lot in the future. It would be especially good for venues that might be dangerous for my finer instruments. But... Aaaagh the pink!! It clearly needed a face-lift.


I started by sanding it, to remove the glossy finish. Then, I added designs with my high-tec design-making tool [sharpie].
Next, I applied several coatings of semi-transparent acrylic.


Finally, the Pink Wonder is painted and ready to be re-strung! (My other fiddle has kindly posed next to it again.)


A detail of the finished Pink Wonder, sans tailpiece and chin-rest. Once I fix the pegs, fit the bridge, and re-string it with Dominants I can see how it sounds.

2 Comments:

Blogger Jetti said...

holy cow - your violin is going to have it's own groupies.

9:38 PM  
Blogger Jetti said...

What about the back side - did you do that too?

9:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home