Tuesday, May 01, 2007

meow

We went hiking Sunday on the more remote eastern side of the Rincons. While we were resting along the trail partway up the mountain, something started calling in the canyon below us. It sounded like a very large, very loud cat and my first thought was "mountain lion!" even though I've never heard one call before. It was on our mind as we hiked back down through the canyon, but we didn't see any tracks and didn't hear it again.
When I came home I searched for recordings of mountain lion calls, and sure enough, this is what it sounded like.
This is the second time we've encountered a lion since moving to Tucson, though admittedly less dramatic than the last time. I'm glad to live somewhere wild enough to still have lions. (I'm also amused that such large cats still essentially say "meow.")

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Jetti said...

Just don't end up as food for one of these large kitties during your mountainous rambling. Cool!

9:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Do you have an account of your first mountain lion run-in (the more dramatic encounter) in your blog?

7:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home